On 8/25/2010 7:18 PM, Michael Adams wrote:
On Monday 23 August 2010 23:00, william drescher wrote:

[snip]

The problem I see with defining a paragraph indent is that I
potentially have 150 different paragraphs, which would require
150 different style definitions.

Is that 150 different paragraphs OR 150 different styles for paragraphs across
thousands of paragraps?

If it is the first then many paragraphs will share the same style as styles
are reusable across the document or across multiple documents. No problem.

If it is 150 different styles across thousands of paragraphs. Then you should
definately use styles for two reasons.

1. You won't be able to remember the nuances of each style to style them
manually.

2. You can flick between styles to view each without breaking your document.

This reduces your problem long term.

I may be able to get by by using unbreaking spaces, but what a mess.

I agree that mess would be way short of what you could do even using tabs.
Using spaces (of any type) is a newbie word processing mistake.

I can't use WP on this project unfortunately.

I shudder to think.

I need 150 absolutely positioned short text fragments (like, "last name", or "date of birth") on one page for an OCR form. This is to be a template for an OpenTBS merge from PHP.

bill