In a message dated 2010.09.06 18:03 -0500, Clayton wrote:

... I want to go over the details again in one of the dev lists<*>,
but don't want to burden the bandwidth of this list again, as this
is not where the problems will be solved.

[<*> But which dev list? I have been on qa-dev for a couple months,
trying to gauge if that is the place. But it is not a very active list,
and I posted only one question, which received no replies.]

In terms of the docs themselves, you are welcome to chatter about it on
auth...@documentation.openoffice.org (requires a subscription just like
the users list does).

Done (I think). I replied to the "confirm subscribe" post; still waiting for confirmation that I'm in the club. I will just watch for a while, to get a sense of the list before posting.

Several of the people who wrote the User Guide content are active
there, and can either take the knowledge you do have and maybe
correct the docs, or contribute to some combined effort to "get it
right" or at least less confusing. From there, we can look at
correcting or clarifying the application Help a little.  ...

... armed with the right questions, we can chase down the developers
and maybe get some clarification. It won't be an instant solution,
but it can be added to the list of things to fix in the docs. We've
got people on the Doc team willing to jump in there and fix things if
they know what needs to be worked on. This would be a great project
for someone.

Sounds promising. I'm only worried about the "/maybe/ get clarification" - people who do documentation should never have to wonder whether they can get clarification on what they document.

John