On 9/17/2011 5:38 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
At 14:28 17/09/2011 -0500, Dale Erwin wrote:
I have defined some custom paragraph styles in a loop so that I can
enter several similar paragraphs without having to stop and format
each one as I go. Some of them are normal and some of them are bold.
One of them is in a larger point size and different typeface. As I
type in my information, every time I press the Enter key, the next
line begins the new paragraph and it is reflected in the highlighted
paragraph style name in the Styles window, however, it always carries
with it the same font characteristics of the previous paragraph,
regardless of what is defined in the style for this paragraph.

I cannot reproduce what you describe, so perhaps there is something else
that you are doing. I notice that if local character-level formatting is
applied to the end of one paragraph, then the new paragraph generated by
pressing Enter will have the correct paragraph style applied - a
different one in your case - but will also inherit the same
character-level formatting. Is that what you are seeing? The way to test
this would be to select the text of the new paragraph, or part of it,
and then use Format | Default Formatting (or Ctrl+M) to cancel the
character formatting. Do you then see the effect of your new paragraph
style correctly?

If I open the styles window and double click on the ALREADY
HIGHLIGHTED style name, then the proper formatting will be applied to
my text.

Oh, I don't see that either in my scenario, so perhaps - after all - it
doesn't explain your problem.

I find this extremely annoying and wonder what purpose the styles
serve if not to prevent this very thing.

No doubt I'd find it annoying too, if it were happening to me.

I trust this helps (but fear it may not).

Brian Barker

There is only one paragraph that has any local formatting because it needs some mixed bold/normal formatting on the same line which cannot be accomplished with the paragraph styles.

I have created a band-aid fix. Since all pages are the same, I recorded a macro to double-click each of the style names. While it did save a lot of time, it could have been much simpler to use that macro if there were a way to leave the macro window open after using it instead of having to go back into the directory and trace the tree down again to be able to run the macro again.

--
Dale Erwin
Lurigancho, Lima 15 PERU

http://leather.casaerwin.org