Hello Isaac,

Thanks for your email, and for your interest in OpenOffice.org.

There's no way to just download Writer, although you could download the
whole suite and just install Writer.  There are reasons for this, but
suffice to say, you just can't do it.

There is hope, however.  AbiWord is a program that, like OpenOffice.org, is
free, open source, cross-platform, MS-compatiblity, and can create ODF
files.  You can download AbiWord from http://www.abiword.com/

Hope that helps!

- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/