Sounds like the printer may be set up for letter paper and automatically splits a legal page into to letter size. Adjust the configuration of the printer at File/Printer Settings/Paper. Don't know of a "shrink" function in OOO, but I've squeezed material onto one page by adjusting font size (select all), narrowing margins, and editing to remove orphans (saves a line).
Bill