My problem has been solved by this excerpt from a previous query on
Thinkpad scroll problems. I followed the instruction and it is now
working100%!

Subject [users] [moderated] IBM ThinkPad Track Point Scrolling
Now you should be aware that the readme that comes with OOo has the
following:

        ALPS/Synaptics notebook touchpads in Windows

        Due to a Windows driver issue, you cannot scroll through
        OpenOffice.org documents when you slide your finger across an
        ALPS/Synaptics touchpad.

        To enable touchpad scrolling, add the following lines to the "C:
        \Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.ini" configuration file,
        and restart your computer:

        [OpenOffice.org]
        FC = "SALFRAME"
        SF = 0x10000000
        SF |= 0x00004000

        Note: The location of the configuration file might vary on
        different versions of Windows.

This should help you and others who are not aware that the readme files
are in the download images.