I may have misunderstood. If you want to alter a form, you ordinarily need the Forms Control toolbar. Use View >Toolbars. You then use the design mode control to switch design mode on.

A shortcut is available. I've added it to the menu >Insert tree. It's called "Design Mode On/Off". I forget which category it's in. Use Tools >Customise to find it.

Howard Sallee wrote:
That didn't work for me. It doesn't matter. I don't want to change the text box anyway, but it does tell me that I should make sure I have things the way I want them before I start entering data in the cells.

I haven't had this situation with the word processor.

I have experienced sometimes, that things I draw sometimes can't be selected by just clicking them. However, in most cases I think I could select them by
clicking outside the object, keeping the mouse button pressed and then
"draw" a rectangle around it before releasing the mouse button. Of course
the right mode for the mouse pointer has to be selected first, if not
already done.