Johnny Andersson wrote:

     Remember that numbers were originally used only to count. And
when we count a group of things, we begin with the number 1 not 0.
The concepts of BC and AD as well as CE (now) were based upon the
Roman calendar. Since 0 did (and does) not exist in the Roman numeral
system, neither can a year be designated by 0. The whole concept of
the number 0 came much later.

Yep. It took people a long time to figure out what those "divide by zero" error messages were about. ;-)