-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: users@openoffice.org
Sent: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 10:31 PM
Subject: [users] [moderated]only 30 numbers can be added in a column? Any fix?

Is there any way to get around the apparent limitation of only 30 numbers can be added in a column? Later - I got one response which claims I can add as many numbers as I wish. Since I was not able to do this I called up "sum" in NeoOffice:
SUM
Adds all the numbers in a range of cells.
Syntax:
SUM(number1; number 2; ...; number 30)
Number 1 to number 30 are up to 30 arguments whose sum is to be calculated.
Example:
If you enter the numbers 2; 3 and 4 in the Number 1; 2 and 3 text boxes, 9 will be returned as the result. SUM(A1;A3;B5) calculates the sum of the three cells. SUM (A1:E10) calculates the sum of all cells in the A1 to E10 cell range. Conditions linked by AND can be used with the function SUM() in the following manner: Example assumption: You have entered invoices into a table. Column A contains the date value of the invoice, column B the amounts. You want to find a formula that you can use to return the total of all amounts only for a specific month, e.g. only the amount for the period >=1.1.99 to <1.2.99. The range with the date values covers A1:A40, the range containing the amounts to be totaled is B1:B40. C1 contains the start date, 1.1.99, of the invoices to be included and C2 the date, 1.2.99, that is no longer included.
Enter the following formula as an array formula:
=SUM((A1:A40>=C1)*(A1:A40<C2)*B1:B40)
In order to enter this as an array formula, you must press the Shift + Ctrl + Enter key instead of simply pressing the Enter key to close the formula. The formula will then be shown in the Formula bar enclosed in braces.
{=SUM((A1:A40>=C1)*(A1:A40<C2)*B1:B40)}
The formula is based on the fact that the result of a comparison is 1, if the criterion is met and 0 if it is not. The individual comparison results will be treated as an array and used in matrix multiplication, and at the end the individual values will be totaled to give the result matrix. The SUM() function can also be used in this way, for example, as COUNTIF() with several criteria.

I looked also at Open Office for the Sum function but found the copy function very unstable. It would not show the whole article, identical to the one above from NeoOffice and it would not copy at all. In any case, my work around for this is to select each cell I want to include in he total and at the bottom of the screen there is a Total box which actually gives me the total of every box I selected, but I have figured out how to get this in a box at thebottom of he column. I realize we are inbeta on this program, and I do not know whether my experience is peculiar to my machine (a nerw iMac, Intel) but thought I would pass it along. Dwight Brown