Jignesh Kothari wrote the following on 3/20/2008 1:24 AM:

I would like to know if Macros created in Microsoft Office suite can be opened using Open Office. If Yes then how do I do it. I have 2 xls files containing Macros but the Macros do not execute with Open office Calc. One of these macro uses Shockwave flash object. I have enable the 'Enable Macros' option on opening this file.

Thanks

Jignesh Kothari

Hello Jignesh,

The Macros in Excel are created with VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) while OpenOffice uses OOBasic. The two are not compatible and OpenOffice can not convert them. There is a branch version of OpenOffice called OxygenOffice that does a pretty fair job of importing Excel's Macros. You can find it here: www.sourceforge.net/projects/ooop/

One word of caution if you are using a slow internet connection. OxygenOffice is almost twice the size of OpenOffice. The reason is that it includes several extras that are installed with the application. Among those are improved import filters for Excel spreadsheets and it also has the ability to open most Word 2007 (docx) files.

--
Jack