  From: Harold Fuchs
  To: users@openoffice.org
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 11:11 AM
  Subject: Re: [users] HOW DO I - Use OpenOffice for e-Mail

  On 02/04/2008, Sarel Eksteen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Hi,
    My intention is to completely remove MS Office and with it MS Outlook that
is not at present my default Mail Handler. I am using Internet Explorer 7.

    Most of the time one wants to send documents directly from the software one
is using at that time i.e. Word processing.

    How do I set up OpenOffice.org to function as my default mail handler?

    Regards

    Sarel Eksteen

  OpenOffice does not include a mail program or a web browser. Instead, on
Windows, it uses whatever mail program is configured as the "dafault" for your
system.  Ditto for web browser: if you click a link in an OpenOffice document
it will invoke your default browser.

  Many people who use OpenOffice also use Thunderbird for mail, Lightning for
calendars and Firefox for browsing the web. They are all free and they all come
from "www.mozilla.org". OpenOffice can easily use Thunderbird's address book
for mail merge; Thunderbird can import mail messages, address books etc. from
Outlook or Outlook Express and Firefox can import boookmarks from Internet
Explorer. Support for Thunderbird etc. is free via various Mozilla discussion
groups. There are also lots of addons for doing useful things like filling in
forms or speeding up downloads and many dictionaries for spell checking in
different languages; all free.

  --
  Harold Fuchs
  London, England