Scott Meyers wrote:

Note that you had to select two things here: "Subscript" and "Automatic". But if you select text and want to make it a subscript, you right-click on it and select only "Subscript". One thing. If you want to create a new character style that only subscripts things, you need click on only one thing: "Subscript" on the "Position" tab; "Automatic" becomes checked automatically.

In other words, to *make* something subscripted, you specify only one thing. But to search for something that's subscripted, you must specify two things, because the Base/Position setting, which is automatically set when *making* something into a subscript is not automatically set when *searching* for a subscript. It is this inconsistency that was tripping me up. I was specifying a search only for "Subscript", which is the same as "Subscript - 33%", not "Subscript automatic."

I understand that. You are correct. It is tricky. But note that when you set subscript in a style (or directly) you can also also change the value in the “Raise/lower by” box. I’ve done this on occasion.

And I’ve also had trouble searching for subscripts when the “Raise/lower” value is different in the subscript I am searching for than the subscript in my search.

Subscripts, by definition, have two values associated with them: size of character relative to the normal font, and vertical position relative to the normal font. Both must match for the search to succeed. That’s obvious, when you think about it. I agree it is one of those things that is not obvious until one is forced to think about it.

Jim Allan