On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 01:28:52 +0200, NoOp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 04/24/2008 01:56 AM, Raffaele Viola wrote:
Hi all,

I want to start openoffice in server mode and I'm trying with this command:
./soffice -accept="socket,host=127.0.0.1,port=8100;urp;" -headless
-norestore -invisible

.. but after the command execution I have this error:
/usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/soffice.bin X11 error: Can't open display:
   Set DISPLAY environment variable, use -display option
   or check permissions of your X-Server
   (See "man X" resp. "man xhost" for details)

Can someone help me??
Regards
Raffo

p.s
I'm using RedHat 4

Not sure, but this might be of help:

http://wiki.alfresco.com/wiki/Running_OpenOffice_From_Terminal

OpenOffice wants access to a X screen. I presume you try to start it as root from a client terminal as a normal user and want to run it on a 'remote' client.

I take it that the client is running on the same machine as you are using a local host address to accept connections to: 127.0.0.1. Then what it is missing is access to the terminal you are typing the command.

Use xhost + (as the normal user) to accept any remote connection to the terminal screen. To re-direct the output to a X terminal set the DISPLAY environment to its qualified lokal network address like DISPLAY=192.168.0.1:0 The 0 representing the display number to use You might also specify the IP adress with the -display="192.168.0.1:0" directly on ./soffice command line.

This method is not limit for use with OpenOffice alone: I do use it with with Eclipse (an IDE) and GNU Cash as well to squeeze more use of my home dual processor/ 1GB file-server. It is a feature of X which is relative easy to use with an Ubuntu distribution (so Debian would not be a problem).I did not get it to work with SuSE becuase it has already a some remote handler in use. I think it will work with Red Hat as well, at least it did work for Eclipse on a Windows with a CygWIN X server.

Currently I have GNU cash running on display 1 (because the Ubuntu is running KDE on the local PC occupying(?) screen 0)

--
<silly add>Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/</silly add>

Ger.