Hello Kevin,

> I think I see the problem. In Styles and Formatting > Modify > Paragraph
> Style dialog, I had somehow got the Numbering Style for List 1 to be
> .... List 1. In other words, it was its own numbering style,
> recursively.  When I applied the style, it gave me a tiny, little
> flyspeck bullet that I didn't even realize was there until I looked
> closely.

Please do not mix up the list styles (fifth icon from the left in the
Styles and formatting window with the Numbering page in the Paragraph
style dialog: they are quite different things.

Use the list styles to just apply a bullet (or number) to a paragraph
without changing the paragraph attributes.
If instead you want your list to also have specific paragraph
attributes, then you need to use the numbering page in the paragraph
style.
You can try to apply List 1 to a Heading 1 paragraph and to a default
paragraph as an example.

Cheers,

Michele