Hello Kevin,

> The frames thing says, in the introduction, that OOo "does not allow you
> to define page styles with recurring frames" meaning that you'd be
> limited to using this in small documents where you knew the page-count
> and layout in advance, or were willing to re-work every time the content
> changed enough to bump something.  That is, you could not use it
> efficiently in large docs that were subject to changes and additions
> that would cause re-flow and re-pagination.
>
> Has this changed in OOo 3.0?  Does it become possible either to set
> recurring frames or to do some other option where you could have a main
> text column and a smaller column possibly for side-heads,
> notes-and-warnings, tips-and-tricks, small illustrations, etc. It would
> be handy, in some types of long documents, to be able to define
> recurring frames, notably with mirrored positioning for left- and
> right-hand pages.

I think you should define your own Frame style (or modify the existing
"marginalia" frame style). You will want the style do define a frame
with specific size, position anchoring and borders. For every page now
all you will have to do is to insert a frame and style it as
marginalia. Not too much effort.

In order to have mirrored frames you need to check the box (Mirror on
even pages).
Something I did not try is anchoring the frame to a character in the
header (or footer). I wonder if by doing this you get a new frame in
every page or if instead you get the same frame on every page...

> Alternatively, what's the best way to have two frames where main text
> flows in one frame-or-column, and the other items live in the other
> column-or-frame beside the main flow, and are linked/attached to
> specific paragraphs in the main flow.  That is, objects in the ... um...
> accessory column would need to move automatically so they'd always be
> beside their paragraphs in the main flow, regardless of how much
> re-flowing and re-pagination were to occur over the life of the
> document.

I think this is very hard to obtain. If you create a small marginalia
frame, rather than a frame that takes the whole page, then you can
easily anchor it to the paragraph and it will follow the flow (this is
how you create sideheads). I suggest you go for this solution. I can
provide a sample if you want (maybe to your private address as I am
not sure this list accepts attachments.

>  - Kevin
> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
> may be privileged and confidential, and therefore, protected
> from disclosure. If you have received this communication in
> error, please notify us immediately by replying to this
> message and deleting it from your computer without copying
> or disclosing it.

Any chance to get rid of the signature when you post to the list? :-)

Cheers,

Michele