No architectural reason - purely speed of development reasons. Our team has
switched from Java to Node.js on our other projects and are seeing real
gains in dev time. We believe we could see the same faster development with
lightweight JS files as opposed to traditional type-safe Java.

I think this is a popular opinion amongst developers, that JS is faster to
write in than Java? The question currently on the table is whether the
difficulty in debugging esoteric Rhino interactions will negate that speed,
in which case we might as well stick to Java and enjoy stability of type
safety.