Thank you for the response, Stefan!

I was surprised about the behavior for 1. below and I'm positive that I have
seen the
new code activate immediately before also.  I'll look into this further.

I'm not surprised what you describe about #2.  When you say "remove this
definition
manually", what does that entail?  If I try to delete the node type definition
via
the composum browser, the operation fails because the node is protected.

John

On Wednesday, March 8, 2017 11:56 AM Stefan Seifert <sseif...@pro-vision.de>
wrote:
> >1.) Are there cases where I would need to shut down and restart Sling in
> >order for an updated version of the bundle to be functional.
> > [snip]
>
> this is strange - the new code from the bundle should get active immediately.
> i use this way for bundles for years
> and it always worked well.
>

> >2.) The bundle defines some custom node types in a CND file.
> >[snip]
> >Again, is there
> >something I need to do to effect a change in a node type definition that
> >doesn't involve drastic measures?
>
> unfortunately dynamic update of a node type already registered is not
> supported at all in jackrabbit afaik. the only
> solution i know of in a repository where the old definition was already
> registered is to remove this definition
> manually before installing the  new one.

stefan