using a newer Sling API than that sling-mocks was compiled against is usually
no problem, because the API is backwards-compatible.
the problems start if other dependencies esp. org.apache.sling.resourceresolver
or org.apache.sling.jcr.resource are updated withouth the other.

this is a sort of dependency hell we cannot solve automatically, because it
highly depends on the dependencies already declared in the project poms. some
hints are included in this talk
https://adapt.to/2016/en/schedule/unit-testing-with-sling-aem-mocks.html

if you have a proposal for some information added to the sling mocks
documentation to make it easier for people to solve these issues i would be
glad to add them to the sling site.

stefan