Stefan Seifert wrote

>> I think we could try using newer file features from Java 7 which might
>> make the scanning obsolete. But I've never looked into it.
>
> you mean with e.g. this?
> https://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/nio/file/WatchService.html
>
> i had this on my todo list some time ago for fsresource - but after some
> first experiments this seems to behave different depending on the operation
> system (windows vs. linux), so i dropped it that time. if someone comes up
> with a concept that works reliable on all operation systems i would be glad
> to help integrate it in fsresource.

Yes, I agree - this doesn't seem to help (I now remember that I looked
into it a long time ago).

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but we could have a switch that
skips the initial scan and also skips registering the periodic scanners.
Once a file is accessed we lazily add a scanner for that directory to
the list. So once a resource/file is used you get change events. If a
directory is never touched, we don't do anything.

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler