Hello list,

I'm currently trying to get the synchronization between the Thunderbird Addressbook and the iPhone (iOS 4.1) to work. As a server, I gave DAViCal a try, as I use this already for CalDAV. What I found out while searching for the cause of some problems is, that vCards edited on the iPhone get altered in some strange way.

What basically happens is that the iPhone does kind of group some fields. The following example demonstrates this. The following contact was created with Connector:
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
PRODID:-//Inverse inc.//SOGo Connector 1.0//EN
UID:C47B1A24-C770-0001-24A8-357011B21142
N:Bar;Foo
FN:Foo Bar
ADR;TYPE=home:;Street Line 2;Street Line 1;City;State;0123;Germany
X-MOZILLA-HTML:FALSE
END:VCARD

After an edit on the iPhone, the vCard becomes this:
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
N:Bar;Foo;;;
FN:Foo Bar
item1.ADR;type=HOME;type=pref:;;Street Line 2 Edited\nStreet Line 1;City
Edited;State;0123;Deutschland
item1.X-ABADR:de
UID:C47B1A24-C770-0001-24A8-357011B21142
X-MOZILLA-HTML:FALSE
END:VCARD

When SOGo Connector reads this, the address is not shown anymore in Thunderbird. This grouping happens to other fields as well. I have attached a somewhat more verbose example created with the iPhone.

Unfortunately, I was not able to test this with the SOGo Server, as the iPhone didn't accept an account with the SOGo-Demo-Server. Maybe the redirect mentioned in Bug #830 [1] is not configured for the demo?

What I do want to ask is whether you handle this already on the server side (e.g. by removing the grouping) and if it would be possible to add a workaround to the Connector?

Kind regards,
Philip

1: http://sogo.nu/bugs/view.php?id=830