On 1/28/2016 11:03 AM, Francis Lachapelle <flachape...@inverse.ca> wrote:
> The new v3 is responsive, optimized for both mobiles and desktops.
>
> SOGo's Web interface remains, well, a Web interface. We didn't want to bypass
> the contextual menus of the user's browser as we do in v2 for multiple
> reasons:
>
> - Users do require access to the options offered in the browser's contextual
> menu (Copy, Paste, etc);
> - It's not possible to trigger those contextual menus on touch screens
> (phones, tablets);
> - Our experience is that most Web applications don't create JavaScript-driven
> contextual menus. Most users won't even think looking for additional options
> by firing a contextual menu. In a Web browser, we expect to click on links
> and buttons. The contextual menu is meant for native functions.
>
> I hope it clarifies our decision.

Yes, and that at least makes sense... much more so than Ludovic's
'Right-click context menus have no value on Desktops any more' response.

That said, maybe a better solution would be a configuration option that
allowed the user to get the browser context menus by
[CTRL][ALT]+Right-clicking?

Also, since the original goal of the v2 UI was to mimic closely the
Thunderbird UI, and since you were providing right-click contextual
menus for a long time, I would have to ask: did Inverse get a lot of
Support issues or complaints about the fact that the v2 UI 'bypassed the
browser context menu's'?

If not, then maybe you are trying to 'fix something that isn't broken'?
Or, like I said, just provide a way to the user to get the browser
context menus - maybe even making it configurable as to which were
dominant - ie, allow the user to make [CTRL][ALT]+right-click either
activate the browser context menu's *or* the SOGo UI context menus?

Anyway, thanks for the explanation, like I said at least it makes a
little more sense now...