Justin Mason wrote:
why?  Can you not simply list all the outgoing relays for the
organizations/domains, or even a pattern that matches all of their
names?  How many outgoing relays do you have?  (I'm not sure I
understand the problem here.)

Okay, let's go with my personal colo box. It's the simplest. I can't imagine trying this on a production mail server.

There are 24 domains here.
* 7 are mine or under my control and origin only here.  No problem.
* 12 or so I know enough about to make some reasonable guesses.
* 5 domains I know nearly nothing about.

And seriously, these are all domains of close personal friends.

AND of those 24 domains, almost *EVERY* one of them has someone in the domain who is sending mail via their ISP either because they are forced to, they want to for some misguided reason, or they are just too inept to change their mail server settings.

This makes source sending address information difficult to detect using manually configured host headers.

I'd rather use SPF and/or DKIM information (or any other information we can determine dynamically) to determine if the message was originally a forgery.

This has the dual added benefit of providing backscatter protection only for the domains who are protecting others against their forgeries.

--
Jo Rhett
Network/Software Engineer