I see in another thread a discussion about what people want to see in SA RBL support. I thought I'd throw in my $.02.

I want a non-binary setting for "use RBLs or not".

The "all or nothing" approach that has been used, where you set it to use RBLs or skip them, and then you have to track down every little RBL score in the cf files so you can zero out the ones that you don't want to use ... and where the rule names might change over time, or new ones might get added over time, just doesn't scale well.

I want:

use_rbls        zen.spamhaus.org list.dsbl.org foo.bar.baz

Where the argument(s) listed are the zone names of RBLs. If they're listed, then they get used in whatever way SA implements that RBL. If they're not listed, then they get skipped. Maybe allow wildcards, or maybe allow an "all" keyword. Support the word "empty" to empty the list, and "none" as a replacement for the directive to skip RBL checks (whether the list is empty or not).

Advantages:

1) if new RBLs get added in an upgrade or update, I don't have to track them down and disable them (I only use RBLs which I locally cache, to keep performance from being terrible, so when SA adds new ones, it's incredibly annoying). If they're not in my explicit list, then they're disabled by default. If someone wants to always use the SA current/default RBLs, they can just set it to "all".

2) the zone name never changes, so I don't have to care what the rule names might be (in case they get changed, as has happened a few times, and, as above, the result tends to be rather annoying).