On 21/08/2008 11:07 AM, Bob Gereford wrote:
> i've read the description for SA's "use_newest_received_spf_header" @
> http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Plugin_SPF.html.
>
> i understand i can toggle the option,
>
>   "Use this option to start with the newest (top most) Received-SPF
> headers, working downwards until results are successfully parsed."
>
> under what specific circumstances would this be a better option?

The only scenario I immediately recall from when I wrote this was that
you may have an intermediate relay that is processing SPF checks that
isn't doing it correctly.  Having the last relay (top most) re-do it
correctly would apply to this config option.

99.99% of installations are probably fine with the default, which I
recommend.

I really only added the option for those users who have multiple
Received-SPF headers for some reason so that they would have at least
somewhat of an option of which one gets used.  I assume that they know
why they have multiple headers and which one would be most appropriate
to use.

Daryl