> notes:
>
> when using flock as the file locking in
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf we get
>
> spamd[2489]: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
> /home/spamd/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W: lock failed:
> Interrupted system call
> spamd[2489]: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
> /home/spamd/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W: lock failed:
> Interrupted system call
>
> when using default SA locking method we get this error
>
> spamd[19334]: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
> /home/spamd/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W: lock failed: File exists
> spamd[19337]: bayes: cannot open bayes databases
> /home/spamd/.spamassassin/bayes_* R/W: lock failed: File exists

:-)

apologies for replying to my own post...

....things i forgot to mention and that we are still investigating...

the errors appear to be happening when SA is scanning longer than normal...

ie, a normal scan used to only take a few seconds...

these file locking errors *appear* to be happening when a scan takes 5 to 20
times or more times longer

again, still investigating...

before we upgraded this machine from 3.2.5 to 3.3.1 scan times averaged 2 to
4 seconds per email

now, the average scan time is more like 8 to 12 seconds.

any pointers to newer default knobs and handles and buttons will be
appreciated...

 - rh