well, a better setup would run spamassassin via milter *before-queue*
and proper reject junk at SMTP level - so you have a tag level let say
between 5.5 and 7.9 points and reject above 8.0

the flagged ones can go in a seperate folder via sieve and the absolute high score junk is proper rejected and with some luck the spam attempts
go down at all
http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html

If you're already using amavisd with postfix and postscreen, would
there be any benefit to considering a milter in this way?

Spamassassin already verifies authenticity, although not pre-queue,
but I'm not sure that's enough for me to introduce another set of
applications to manage...

The usual amavis setup with postfix nowadays is a before-queue setup:

smtpd  pass  -  -  n  -  150  smtpd
    -o smtpd_proxy_filter=inet:[::1]:10024
    -o smtpd_proxy_options=speed_adjust

A milter setup has no advantage over a before-queue proxy setup,
and has some disadvantages (e.g. unable to individually adjust
mail header section in multi-recipient mail messages).

Don't use a content filter in an after queue setup, unless you
give up mail rejections. Non-delivery notifications due to spam/malware
*must* be avoided, discarding mail without letting sender or
recipient be aware about it is not acceptable (and may not be legal),
and delivering tagged junk (or delivering to a dedicated recipient's
folder) may not be appreciated by recipients.

  Mark