Dianne Skoll wrote:
Mark Martinec <mark.martinec...@ijs.si> wrote:
I can only conclude that a rule like RCVD_ILLEGAL_IP will hit
mostly on misconfigured or misguided sending mailers, not primarily
on spam.

I disagree.  Now that the Microsoft issue has been fixed, well over 95%
of the mail on our system that hits RCVD_ILLEGAL_IP is spam.

You are right, I checked our logs and the RCVD_ILLEGAL_IP does
indeed mostly hit on spam.

... although there's a funny twist there. Some of these illegal
IP addresses are not really a claimed-to-be IP address of a mailer,
but come from an embedded e-mail address in a comment:

  by mm-36-150-122-178.brest.dynamic.pppoe.byfly.by with ESMTPA;
  Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:55:53 +0300

  by 76.172.150.91 with ESMTPA; Tue, 21 Apr 2015 11:41:10 -0800

so by a lucky coincidence a misparsed Received ends up
yielding a useful-but-wrong result.

  Mark