2015-04-24 01:38, Thom Miller wrote:
"Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgr...@pccc.com> wrote:

On 4/22/2015 11:19 PM, Thom Miller wrote:
> According to
> https://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html :
>
> "By default, SpamAssassin will query some default hosts on the
> internet to attempt to check if DNS is working or not. The problem
> is that it can introduce some delay if your network connection is
> down, and in some cases it can wrongly guess that DNS is
> unavailable because the test connections failed."
>
> I decided that since the network should always be available,
> there's no reason for spamassassin to test it.

Interesting.  What version of SA are you using?

I'm running 3.4.0 now, but I made this addition to local.cf when I was
running 3.2. I don't know if the change is still necessary in my case,
but I haven't bothered to remove it.

-Thom

The 'dns_available yes' is a default since 3.4.0.

3.4.0 release notes:

* A default setting for option 'dns_available' was changed from 'test' to
 'yes' (bug 6770, bug 6769), so SpamAssassin now assumes by default that
 it is running on a host with an internet connection and a working DNS
resolver. If this is not the case, please configure this option explicitly.

The change avoids surprises on an otherwise well connected host which may experience a temporary DNS unavailability at the system startup time or a temporary network outage when spamd was starting, and the initial failed
 test would disable DNS queries permanently. The option is documented in
 the Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf POD or man page.

Mark