If you really want to keep the binary assets out of the main code repository, you can use Subversions Externals definitions (see https://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.7/svn.advanced.externals.html) where you can pull in a file or a folder from some other repository in to the working copy tree. Then you could have multiple repositories for the binary assets, retiring (and removing) repositories and switching the externals definition to point to the new repository.

I have tried external many years ago (10?), I faced tons of issues. I can't remember exactly what, it was either commiting/update/revert  that needed extra  steps , and could be missed out.  Was using tortoisesvn.

In Subversion 1.15 (not yet released) there will be an option to skip the pristine copies, effectively cutting storage requirement in half, at the expense of more network traffic. When running in this mode, the client will only have one copy of each file with only a tiny bit of overhead for configuration.

That's sounds like what I'm looking for, great! When the project size is in TBs,  you do want to try save space when binary assets are not delta stored.

Thanks Daniel

Robin