I received this error when doing 'svn update':

svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL …

I spent many minutes trying to find why the perfectly working server
would not grant a connection.

The solution was: for years in my TortoiseSVN settings a proxy server
was selected, and it simply has been working until it happened to be
turned off.

So I ask for one of two features:

A) When "unable to connect to a server", make an extra check whether
it is possible to connect to the proxy server (if one is selected). If
this is the case, make the error more verbose, like:

svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL …, also unable
to connect to a proxy …

B) Simply make the error message more verbose if the proxy server is
selected in the settings, like:

svn: E170013: Unable to connect to a repository at URL …
(Note: proxy … was used for connection)