Placing the jars in the common/lib directory makes them available for all web
apps and catalina itself. Placing log4j properties in the common/classes lib
defines log4j behavior for all web apps (cross context). Placing log4j
properties in web-inf/classes overrides cross context log4j properties for a
specific web app.

What is the purpose of the commons-logging.properties file ?  There is no
requirement for this file according to the 5.5 doc.

hope this helps.

- andy
pc leung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html
The above page shows that logging-log4j.jar and commong-logging.jar
needs to put in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib.
If I have two files of jar already in my struts webapp lib,
Why do I still need to place them in $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib?
In addition, the tomcat doc web page shows the log4j.properties only,
is the common-logging.properties not necessary?
Thanks