Thanks for the advice Bill, I'll let you know how I get on

-----Original Message-----
From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill Barker
Sent: 26 November 2005 03:00
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Issues When Restarting Tomcat

This version has a known memory leak in the AJP/1.3 Connector.  The
work-around is to set:
  request.registerRequests=false
in your $CATALINA_HOME/conf/jk2.properties file.

"Carroll, Simon, CND" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Hi,

I have the following problem and I was wondering if anyone else had a
similar issue which they managed to resolve.

I have a web application which is installed on 2 tomcat instances
(version 4.1.30 using jdk 1.4.2_05), each on separate boxes.  I have 2
apache (version 2) instances, also on separate boxes, which are
configured to pass requests to the tomcat instances via the mod_jk
plugin.  The configuration works as expected and the requests from
apache are equally balanced between the two tomcat instances.

The issue I have is that the web application installed on tomcat seems
to have a memory leak and if it is left to run for a prolonged period
the tomcat processes begin to hog the CPU.  To counter this I have set
up a cron job which restarts the tomcat instances every morning, the
restarts are staggered so that the first instance is restarted at 07:00
and the second at 07:20.  However after the restarts I can see from the
apache logs that a number of HTTP requests are taking 190 seconds to
process.  From the logging I have determined that the hold up occurs
when the request is passed to tomcat.  I see this issue for
approximately 3 hours and then it clears itself up until the following
day when we restart the tomcat instances again.

Does anyone know why this is occuring?
Should I be restarting the apache instances after I have restarted the
tomcat instances?
Is there anyway I can clear down the CPU usage without restarting
tomcat?

If anyone can help me with this issue I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Simon