The official tomcat 5.5.12 was compiled and packaged with J2SE5.0, not
JDK 1.4.  You'll get an error message if you run tomcat on 1.4.

ND

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 4:46 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Certificate Revocation Lists in Tomcat 5.5

Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>From: Duan, Nick [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: RE: Certificate Revocation Lists in Tomcat 5.5
>>
>>Tomcat 5.5 supposed to run on JDK 1.5.  Why was it compiled with JDK
>>1.4?
>

> Because it's supposed to run on JRE 1.4 as well.  Compiling on 1.5
would
> have precluded that.

Not necessarily. But it would create complications to maintain 1.4
compatibility where there is 1.5 specific code. The 1.5 code is
skipped if 1.4 is used to build.

> I'm a bit suspicious of the statement that certain classes had to be
> recompiled with 1.5; I suspect there's something more subtle than that
> going on.

Nope, it is that simple. There was a discussion about this on the
dev list recently. However, I would be wary of only compiling the
"extra" classes. To be on the safe side, I would re-build the lot with
1.5.

Mark