Maybe the user hit the "stop" button on the browser while downloading a page
or binary.

IIRC this will give you IOExceptions in your servlet when trying to push
more data in the "dead" connection.

It could also be your firewall, that times out connections which have not
been used for some time.
If you use tomcat connection pooling, try using
        <parameter>
                <name>validationQuery</name>
                <value>select 1</value>
        </parameter>
in the ResourceParams of your jdbc connection definition in server.xml
(see tomcat documentation for details)

Hth,
Tobias