Tools and JVM specific performance links:
http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/

Bruno Georges

Glencore International AG
Tel. +41 41 709 3204
Fax +41 41 709 3000

|         |           Bruno Georges    |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           encore.com>      |
|         |           05.12.05 13:38   |
|         |           "Tomcat Users    |
|         |           List"            |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |        To:      "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
                                                                  |
  |        cc:      Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
                                                                  |
  |        Subject: Re: memory limit for tomcat?
                                                                  |

  |Distribute:

  |Personal?               |-------|

  |                        | [ ] x |

  |                        |-------|

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi Tim

There are limitations imposed by h/w and os, and one should be careful
about the implications of addressing large amount of memory.
There is an interesting thread about this topic on the server side:
http://www.theserverside.com/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=26347#124481

There is also a link on sun about tuning gc, it is definitely worth reading
prior making any setting on the JVM.
http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc1.4.2/

Free tools exists to profile the JVM and Memory management, available from
java.net.

Hope this helps.
Bruno Georges

Glencore International AG
Tel. +41 41 709 3204
Fax +41 41 709 3000

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Tim Funk        |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           org>            |
|         |                           |
|         |           05.12.05 13:18  |
|         |           Please respond  |
|         |           to "Tomcat Users|
|         |           List"           |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |        To:      Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
|
  |        cc:
|
  |        Subject: Re: memory limit for tomcat?
|

  |Distribute:

  |Personal?               |-------|

  |                        | [ ] x |

  |                        |-------|

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Not really. A JVM implementation could queue the extra heap memory to a
swap
disk just like an OS can. But the performance tradeoffs are so bad - that
writing such a  jvm would be a bad idea. ;)

-Tim

Bruno Georges wrote:

> Hi Tim
> Correct me if I am wrong, but there is a limit of 2GB in a 32bits
> architecture .
> With Best Regards
> Bruno Georges
>
> Glencore International AG
> Tel. +41 41 709 3204
> Fax +41 41 709 3000

LEGAL DISCLAIMER. The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are
strictly
confidential and they may not be used or disclosed by someone who is not a
named recipient.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by
replying
to this email inserting the word "misdirected" as the message and delete
this
e-mail from your system.