It would be really nice if the next verion of Tomcat could dispense with
putting hosts in the server.xml file as well. They already have a directory
structure in place...

Right now, for my high-volume hosting I have a startup script that generates
a server.xml on the fly. The reason I have to do this is because the
host-manager application doesn't write new hosts to the server.xml (and if
it did, it would probably restart them all anyhow). It would be nice if
tomcat and host-manager would write a host.xml to the conf/<engine
name>/host_name directory.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/