> From: Sebastian Funk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: java.lang.Object cannot be resolved
>
> I set $JAVA_HOME to /usr/lib/jdk, it's a link to /usr/lib/jdk1.5.0_05.

JAVA_HOME has no effect on compilations; the Tomcat startup scripts use
it to find the installed JRE/JDK, but the standard Java launchers (e.g.,
java, javac) don't use it.

> But without rt.jar in -cp it doesn't work. My whole javac-line is:
>       'sudo javac -cp
> /home/tomcat/tomcat/common/lib/servlet-api.jar:/home/
> tomcat/mysql-connector-java-3.1.11-bin.jar:/usr/lib/jdk/jre/lib/
> rt.jar:.'

Do you really need sudo here?  Perhaps that's creating some issues.

What happens if you try to compile a simple "Hello World" program,
without anything specified for -cp?  (Try it with and without sudo to
see if that makes a difference.)

What environment variables do you have set?

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.