I am wanting to be able to remotely start and stop a web app configured on
TomCat 5.5.

The web app is not deployed within the TomCat directory structure. There are
several web apps configured and running but none of them show up in the TomCat
manager interface.

I have read the documentation regarding the Manager interface but it isn't
clear to me as to how I need to get this to work.

Currently the context is configured in the server.xml but I have read this is
frowned upon so I am moving each web app context to its own location under the
Catalina directory (if this is correct).

Am I on the right path regarding the context configuration and how do I then
have the ability to manage the web apps if they are physically located outside
of the TomCat directory structure?

Thanks