Richard Mixon wrote:
Marc,
Thank you - We are using a recent version of the MySQL Connector/J (3.1.10),
but maybe that does not mean anything.
- Richard

Hmm thats not very recent. I know of 2 bugs since then that have bitten me. 3.1.13 should be brewing and that would be the first release to resolve both.

I have not read the details of your problem but around 12 months ago I had a problem with connection pooling and MySQL driver, in that the connection pool wasn't working. The connection pooler did not take already open connections from out the pool first before opening new connections (it did this to the point of creating 100+ connections during simple testing where a single http client ran at a time). Also during a web-app restart those already open connections in the pool were never reclaimed and remained open between the JVM and MySQL server.

I never got to the bottom of the problem, I just upgraded everything and added some utility functions to my contextDestroyed() web-app lifecycle method. Maybe useful links for this:

http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=935948&start=150

HTH

--
Darryl L. Miles