On 01.08.2012 18:10, Andreas Pålsson wrote:
I have been thinking about this issue all day, and I think the
specification needs more work on this area.

There is certainly no need for a container to wade through hundreds
maybe even thousands of classes in search of something that does not exist.
It is an unnecessary task which consumes both time and resources.

I am all for making it easier for a developer, and make the container
scan everything by default.

But there is also an obvious need for a solution to specifically define
where a container should look for annotations when we have web
applications with very large amount of classes.

Even if it has to be an XML-file, such as in Spring where you can
instruct  the framework where to look for beans, entities, controllers
and such.

Mark, is there a way we can influence the EG to change this?

I'm not Mark and don't want to preempt any answer from him, but there is the following public discussion available:

http://java.net/jira/browse/SERVLET_SPEC-36

and

http://java.net/jira/browse/SERVLET_SPEC-36

Regards,