On 23.08.2012 09:50, marcobuc wrote:
Hi,
we are experiencing a very similar problem with the difference that we are
using mod_proxy_ajp instead of mod_jk to connect Apache with tomcat. As for
mod_jk, the connection is done to the 8009-jk port opened by a connector
configured in tomcat server.xml file.
     <Connector port="8009"
                enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3"
/>

We tried configuring the timeout parameters for mod_proxy_ajp to tell Apache
to drop connection older than 2 minutes, but we see in tomcat manager
application that the jk-8009 connector retains Keepalive connections open
for millions of milliseconds:
K       1783874292 ms   ?       ?       84.18.132.114   ?       ?

Can you see the connections in the output of "netstat -an"?

What is there state there?

I would like to try configuring the ping_mode parameter but I do not know if
this is possible, i.e. if this parameter exists only for mod_jk.
Here an example of configuration we added in httpd.conf file for the
mod_proxy_ajp configuration.

ProxyPass /manager ajp://localhost:8009/manager max=10 retry=10 timeout=30
ttl=120
ProxyPassReverse /manager ajp://localhost:8009/manager

Look for "ping" and "ttl" on

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html

if using 2.2 or

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy.html

if using httpd 2.4. Note that for 2.4 there was a connection closing bug which was fixed very recently in 2.4.3.

Regards,

Rainer