From: Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject: Re: Java 6u35, 7u07 are available
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Cc: "Williams, Nick" <nicholas.willi...@ul.com>
Date: Friday, August 31, 2012, 9:22 AM

Well, don't give Oracle too much credit -- or grief.

According to various articles (look them up, I didn't save the URLs),
they were notified of these vulnerabilities ~4 months ago.

Unfortunately several days ago serious attacks in the wild using these
vulnerabilities were discovered -- after which Oracle responded rather
quickly.

So one can give Oracle hell for not triaging these particular
vulnerabilities as needing redress far more quickly than 4 months or
laud them for fixing the issue quickly once a zero-day attack was found
in the wild.  I'd say the reasonable response is somewhere in between
and that overall most companies make some mistakes in this area (just
look at some of the issue Microsoft has sat on....)