> From: Howard W. Smith, Jr. [mailto:smithh032...@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Severe Errrors encountered in Tomcat when running a Struts2
> project...

> Chuck, if you look at Tripti's details above (in OP), it seems as
> though Tripti desires to run 64-bit veresion of tomcat7.0.35 on 64-bit
> JVM.

Nowhere does the OP indicate the mode of the JVM.  There are numerous valid
reasons for running a 32-bit JVM on a 64-bit OS.

> It seems as though Tripti needs to 'update' JAVA_HOME etc...?

Not likely.  He may want to install a 64-bit JVM, if that's what is desired.
But unless a large heap size is necessary to run the expected applications, a
64-bit JVM will be marginally slower than a 32-bit one.

> Excuse me as I am a bit of a perfectionist, but Windows provides
> "C:\Program Files (x86)" folder on 64-bit operating system. The
> "C:\Program Files" is the best/appropriate place to install 64-bit
> software.

If the .exe installer is used, it selects the appropriate location based on the
JVM it finds; if the .zip file is used, it's probably best not to muck with
C:\Program Files at all.  Note that even the 64-bit .zip file of Tomcat
contains both 32- and 64-bit executables in the bin directory.  Tomcat proper,
of course, is completely independent of JVM mode; only the tcnative-1.dll and
the service wrapper must have the same mode as the JVM used.

> Since OP states 64-bit 'so much'

Twice is "so much"?

> it is best for you to update or add JAVA_HOME (and I think JRE_HOME)
> in your System Environment variables of My Computer or System properties.

Ignored if running as a service; when running via the scripts, one or the other
(not both) should be set to point to the desired JVM.  Best to set this in a
setenv.bat script in Tomcat's bin directory, not in the global environment
variables.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.