> From: Karolis Monkus [mailto:karolis.mon...@dts-solutions.lt]
> Subject: can't start tomcat on port 80

> I use fedora 17 and from yum downloaded tomcat-7.0.33 version.

You may need support from Fedora, since repackaged versions of Tomcat do not
always behave the way real ones do.

> I changed port from 8080 to 80 in server.xml, restarted tomcat and
> got the following error in catalina.out file:

> SEVERE: Failed to initialize end point associated with ProtocolHandler
> ["http-bio-80"]

Check if anything else is using port 80 with netstat.

> I'm logged in to fedora with root user. Any help would be appreciated.

You might not be running Tomcat as root (which is good - you shouldn't), since
the 3rd-party repackaged versions often fiddle with the start/stop scripts.
Since you're not using a real Tomcat, the FAQ entry for this topic may need
adjustment, but it should help:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_to_run_Tomcat_without_root_privileges.3F

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.