On Mar 6, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@vmware.com> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2013, at 1:49 PM, Rahul Somasunderam wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running Tomcat 7.0.23.
>
> This is getting pretty old, you might want to consider upgrading.

I will, but I don't think this has to do much with tomcat being old. I think
it's with me having to configure the logging correctly.

>> I've got a question about configuring the logging of DBCP Failures.
>>
>> I've go this in my context xml file.
>>
>> <Context docBase="/home/foo/war/" path="/foo" reloadable="true">
>>  <Resource
>>      name="jdbc/hd/datasource"
>>      auth="Container"
>>      type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>>      driverClassName="oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver"
>>      url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@//localhost:1531/PROD"
>>      username="foouser"
>>      password="foopass"
>>  />
>> </Context>
>>
>> When the username and password are correct, I have no trouble connecting and
>> my application works as expected.
>> However when this is wrong, I get no indication of why it went wrong.
>
> When it's wrong what happens?  How are you testing for failure?  Are you
> accessing a page in your app that requires the DB?

I'm testing this by changing the password in my context to be a wrong password.
I'm looking at the startup logs and I see this in catalina.out

Mar 06, 2013 11:57:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
SEVERE: Error listenerStart
Mar 06, 2013 11:57:27 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
SEVERE: Context [/foo] startup failed due to previous errors

And this in localhost.date.log

Mar 06, 2013 10:13:17 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
Mar 06, 2013 10:13:17 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()
Mar 06, 2013 10:13:17 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener:
attributeAdded('org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache',
'org.apache.jasper.compiler.TldLocationsCache@1296dee6')
Mar 06, 2013 11:56:55 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
Mar 06, 2013 11:58:57 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log