On 15.03.2013 11:57, David Kumar wrote:
>> It could be, that your requests in Tomcat got stuck and Tomcat still is
>> in the state of working on the requests, therefore keeping the
>> connection open to send back stuff finally, whereas mod_jk has already
>> timed out. To check for that, take a couöple of threa dumps (not: heap
>> dumps) of the running Tomcat process while the close_wait problem is
>> visible. Check what your Tomcat threads are currently doing, e.g. are
>> they mostly sitting idle in the thread pool or executor, or are many of
>> them deep in your application stacks and waiting for database, locks or
>> other stuff.
>
> I try to, currently we have a "watchdog" running, checking every 2 minutes if
> the tomcats are available at 7009/9009 and http. If one of the tomcats are
> not responding it will be restarted....

Please please before restarting take two thread dumps. On Linux/Unix a
"kill -QUIT" will do that (and write the result to STDOUT, which
depending on your setup likely goes to catalina.out). The QUIT signal
does *not* terminate the JVM, it just quickly writes out the stacks of
all threads. The interruption for the running JVM is minimal, so you can
already try how this works before the process gets into the critical state.

Regards,

Rainer