> You would have had to intentionally enable the "default" password.

I had clearly done that.

> The attacker installed a viral servlet application that killed the
> server completely, we had to rebuild it.

I -- like most people I would guess -- don't run under a SecurityManager,
but doing so can significantly limit the damage that a rogue webapp can do.

Thanks, I don't think that's feasible given our webapps.

> Did you also remove manager webapp access through httpd? Otherwise, this
doesn't actually do anything to help.

No I didn't, I *access-controlled it,* as I went on to describe.

> +2 -- both good ideas: central access control (LDAP) and enabling
> lockout mechanism. Note that Tomcat's lockout mechanism is fairly
primitive and easy to game.

I referred to the OpenLDAP lockout mechanism, which is not at all primitive.

> Would you be willing to review the Tomcat documentation on "securing
Tomcat" and make a few comments? It could always use some additional tips:

Sure, will do.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/security-howto.html
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Security

You can sign-up for the wiki yourself and make any changes you want.
If you want to modify the "official" documentation, create a Bugzilla
enhancement request and (please!) include a patch. I'm sure it will go right
in.

Thanks,