2013/10/25 Web2 Solutions <m...@web2-solutions.com>:
> Hallo All,
>
> I've installed tomcat 7.0.42 and due heavy use my catalina.out and
> localhost_access-jjj-mm-dd.txt grows quit big.
>
> I've successfully configured logrotate to rotate both files. I've removed
> the date from the access log.
> So Tomcat now writes without rotating into localhost_access.txt
>
> Logrotate now create a new file (localhost_access-dd-mm-dd.txt) and makes
> localhost_access.txt empty.
> But tomcat now writes into the new localhost_access-dd-mm-dd.txt instead of
> the configured file (localhost_access.txt).

FYI:
You can configure the filename pattern so that it rotates more frequently,
e.g. every hour or every ten minutes.

> What do I have todo so that tomcat continues to write into
> localhost_access.txt  even after rotating?

Renaming the file is futile, because Tomcat (for access logs) or the
shell (for catalina.out)
has the file open and continues to write to it, regardless of the file name.

You can use copytruncate option of logrotate.

FYI: catalina.out is not a proper log file, but a redirection of
stdout (as managed in catalina.sh script that launches Tomcat java
process). If a system is configured properly, this file is usually
empty.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko