James,

On 21.1.2014 0:14, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
It seems that one of our customers moved their server to a different
physical box, over the weekend, and we're now seeing some definite
weirdness:

Their Tomcat now shows a certificate that expired this past September.

But it gets weirder:

Their connector for port 443 in server.xml shows a word as the alias.
The word we usually use when setting up a customer's SSL.

But when I examine their keystore in Keytool, it shows the digit "1" as
the only alias in the keystore.

Why would this even work at all?

Hard to say without seeing your server.xml. I could only guess: you misspelled "keyAlias" attribute name, so Tomcat just reads first key in the keystore.

-Ognjen