All,

There have been some questions lately about how to re-enable SSLv3 on
Tomcat and I just went through the trouble of trying to get it to work
in my own environment for some protocol testing.

While there were a few bugs fixed over the past few months in Tomcat
vis-a-vis configuring which protocols should be enabled, etc., those
appear to be completely fixed.

But, when I first tried, I could not get Tomcat to use SSLv3. I tried
a few silly changes to configuration and nothing helped. It seems
Tomcat isn't the problem.

It turns out that Oracle has disabled SSLv3 in both Java 7 (in 7u75)
and Java 8 (in 8u31), and you have to do some work to re-enable it.

Java 7 release notes containing an explanation:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u76-relnotes-2389087.html

Java 8 release notes containing an explanation:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/8u31-relnotes-2389094.html

The tl;dr is that if you create a java.security.properties file, you
can override the system configuration of this setting. First, create a
file that contains only the following:

=== CUT ===
jdk.tls.disabledAlgorithms=true
=== CUT ===

Now, add this to your CATALINA_OPTS (or other JVM invocation):

  -Djava.security.properties=/path/to/above/file

Now, you'll be able to use SSLv3 again. But, of course, you shouldn't
be using it, so why would you?

Also remember that the disabling of SSLv3 is for both server and
client sockets, so if you want to connect to a server using SSLv3,
you'll need to use the same trick to allow the /client/ to use SSLv3
as well as the server.

This is the part that confused me, because, since I was using a Java
client, my observations were that neither the JSSE-based nor the
OpenSSL-based connectors would "work" with SSLv3. The problem of
course was the client. Once I got that sorted, I was able to connect
to both.

To drive-home the point: SSLv3 works without any of the foolishness
above if you are using the APR connector, because OpenSSL hasn't
disabled SSLv3 in general. Your OpenSSL provider (Linux distribution,
etc.) may determine that SSLv3 should be disabled, but that's another
matter.

Hope that helps,